Tenant FAQ's


Tenant FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions for Tenants

How do I become a tenant?

If you are interested in renting one of IAG's vacant units, the first step is for all applicants 18 or older who will occupy the unit to fill out a detailed application, and follow the steps outlined in the application, including payment of an application fee for each adult occupant. IAG does have criteria based on income, credit, and previous rental history. Once your tenancy has been approved, you will be asked to remit a deposit to hold the unit, and all occupants 18 and older will be asked to sign a lease and remit money (via certified funds) for rent and security deposit. No unit will be held until a non-refundable deposit (via certified funds) is remitted. Please read the lease and any attached documents very carefully, because they are legally binding. If you violate the lease in any way, you may wind up losing the right to live in your apartment. Rent collections are strictly enforced, as are noise rules and pet policies. If you plan to get a pet, be sure you find out whether or not a pet will be allowed before signing the lease. If there is anything in the lease, House Rules, or in the unit itself, with which you may have issues, be sure to discuss this with IAG before you move in.

Will IAG refuse to rent to me if my ethnic background is different from others in the building?

IAG strictly follows Fair Housing and does not discriminate based on racial or ethnic background, religious beliefs, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, age or other categories specified in Fair Housing regulations. We welcome your interest in any of our vacancies.

How do I pay the rent?

Please look for instructions on your lease agreement. For your convenience, IAG accepts payment online (via E-Check, credit card and debit card) through your online resident portal as well as by mail, in our office or by paying your resident manager (if applicable). Please note that the payment of rent in cash is NEVER accepted.

How do I report a repair which needs to be done in my home?

You may submit a maintenance request using your online resident portal or you may call our office at (310) 331-8552 during normal business hours, Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm. If you have an after-hours maintenance emergency, please call (310) 598-1710. Please call IAG rather than repairing a maintenance problem yourself, as, except for specific circumstances provided for by law, you will not be allowed to deduct costs of the repair from your rent. If there is a problem which was caused by you or your guests, such as inappropriate items flushed down the toilet, you will be charged for the repair.

What is considered an emergency?

A maintenance emergency is defined as a maintenance problem that will cause a safety hazard to residents, or an imminent damage to property, so that fixing it cannot wait until the next business day. A few examples would be an overflowing toilet, sink or tub, a broken pipe with gushing water, or sudden electrical short. If there is a gas leak, call the gas company in your area first, and if there is a power outage, call the electric company in your area first to see if there is a general power outage in the area (links to the gas and electric company websites can be found on our website by clicking here).

Will IAG notify me when a repair person is coming to my home?

IAG will give you a 24 hour notice to enter, unless you agree to allow IAG's vendor to enter your home on an as-available basis. There is no requirement for you to be present, but you must provide access to your home, with proper notice, for purposes of repairs. There is no requirement for IAG to give you notice if there is a suspected emergency, such as a burst pipe.

What happens if I don’t pay my rent?

If your rent is not received when it is due, by the first of each month, you will be served a legal notice to pay your rent. If rent is not received by the time the notice expires, you will be subject to eviction proceedings. If you plan to be out of town when rent is due, you still need to make sure before you leave that your rent is paid. Being out of town does not excuse you from paying the rent. Rent must be paid regardless of any personal circumstances or problems you may have. This is part of your lease agreement, which is a legal document voluntarily signed by you. If your rent is late, you will be assessed a late fee, and if your check bounces, you will be assessed a bounced check fee.

I want to share the unit with a roommate. How does rent payment work? Can we each be responsible for half the rent?

In a roommate situation, both roommates are entirely responsible for the rent. IAG prefers one payment for the entire rent per unit. You must work it out between yourselves as to how you get the rent payment to IAG; for example, there are times when one roommate may pay more rent than another, if that roommate occupies a room that is significantly larger, but that must be worked out between roommates and is not handled by IAG. It is not IAG's responsibility to intercede if one of you pays and the other doesn’t. This will simply be considered non-payment of rent, and both your names may appear on a three day notice and any possible eviction. The security deposit only is refunded when the entire unit is vacant, and no partial refund is given when one roommate moves out. If one roommate wants to leave and someone else wants to live in the unit, that person needs to apply as a tenant and be approved. If you and your roommate do not get along, IAG is not obliged to get your roommate to leave. Needless to say, it is important to know a person’s history of being responsible financially before agreeing to be that person’s roommate. It would be wise to see a potential roommate’s credit history before agreeing to share an apartment.

When I move out, how can I get my security deposit back? Can I use my security deposit for my last month of rent?

Security deposits are NEVER to be used instead of payment of rent, since the purpose of a security deposit is to pay for any damage caused by the tenant or their guests. If you do not pay any rent, including the last month you are in the unit, you may be subject to eviction proceedings. You are entitled to an accounting of your security deposit as well as the appropriate refund, within 21 days of your moving out of the unit. It is important that you provide an accurate forwarding address to receive your accounting.

I received a job transfer to another state, and need to leave before the end of my lease. What are my obligations?

Inform IAG in writing as soon as you know about your transfer, and give an exact date you will be vacating the unit. You will still owe rent until the end of your lease term, or until a new tenant is found, plus costs of advertising. However, the owner is obliged to make efforts to rent the unit as well. It would be to your benefit to keep your unit as presentable as possible, and cooperate fully with IAG showing the unit, so a new tenant can be found as soon as possible. You may even want to advertise the unit on your own, and introduce any interested parties to IAG. This will help lower any costs you will have to bear.

I want to have an additional person move in. What should I do?

Any persons not on the lease may only occupy the unit only with the written permission of IAG, and that person needs to be approved as a tenant by IAG. You may be charged more rent if that person is in addition to, rather than instead of, a present resident. If an additional person is found to live in your unit, WITHOUT IAG's permission, you may be subject to eviction and/or increase of rent.

My neighbor plays loud music late at night. What do you suggest?

As a first step, if your neighbor is violating House Rules, we always suggest first talking to your neighbor in a friendly tone of voice. For instance, you may want to let them know that they may be unaware of the fact that it is late at night, their music can be heard in your unit, and is preventing you from sleeping. If you have already tried this, and the behavior continues, please inform IAG and we will contact the tenant. If the behavior continues even after IAG has made a direct request to your neighbor, please inform IAG and further steps may need to be taken. If there is a loud party late at night and you feel you have no choice, by all means contact the Police Department.

I want to change the color of the paint in my unit and make other changes. May I do this?

As part of the lease agreement, renovations made by a tenant are only permissible with written approval by IAG. You may, of course, hang paintings of your choice on the wall, provided you repair the holes upon vacating the unit. This rule against renovation without permission applies to all renovations, including changing your carpeting or other flooring, installation of built in appliances, etc. Please do not affix a satellite dish or other antenna to the roof or balcony, without acquiring permission first, as you will be charged for any damages.

I would like to have a party at the building. May I use the pool area?

Any guests you invite should remain in your unit, and not congregate in common areas, including the pool or parking area. They should not be loitering anywhere around the building, and House Rules should be observed in regard to noise. If your guests damage your unit in any way, you will be held responsible. If your building has a security gate, you may not prop it open to allow guests to enter, as this compromises the security of other residents. Garage or yard sales, which typically cause obstruction of walkways, debris, and generally cause a nuisance, are not permitted.